Canadian e-commerce platform Shopify announced its intent to go public today in a filing with the SEC. The company plans to raise up to $100 million in the IPO and will list under the symbol “SHOP” on the New York Stock exchange.
As part of the announcement, Shopify revealed some interesting stats. We’ll break them down below.
- Annual revenue: Shopify made $105 million in revenue last year, $50.3 million in 2013, and $23.7 million in 2012
- Recent revenue: $37.3 million in the last three months.
- Net loss: $1.2 million in 2012, $4.8 million in 2013, $22.3 million in 2014, and $4.5 million in the last three months.
- Number of merchants: Shopify had 162,261 merchants on its platform as of last month.
- Number of countries: 150.
- Cash processed: Shopify processed $3.8 billion in Gross Merchandise Volume last year
- Uniques: “In 2014, our merchants’ shops averaged 300 million unique monthly visitors, 50 percent of which were from mobile.”
Shopify says that it stands to capitalize on a market of 46 million merchants worldwide who can put their local shops online, but it also notes that its rapid growth may not be sustainable. To date, the company has raised a total of $122 million in venture funding.